Top White House officials on Monday stood by President Trump’s charge that President Obama tapped his phones during last year’s campaign without providing additional evidence, as lawmakers and former intelligence officials sparred over the allegations.
Counselor Kellyanne Conway, asked directly on “Fox Friends” when the president may have first heard of possible wiretapping in Trump Tower, said she would not “reveal that.”
But she noted “it’s a big place,” adding: “If we don’t know, then let’s find out together.”
At the same time, Conway said, “He’s the president of the United States. He has information and intelligence that the rest of us do not.”
Spokesman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said on NBC’s “Today” show that Trump firmly believes the allegations he made on Twitter over the weekend.
The explanations from Conway and other White House officials leave unclear what specific information Trump may have to bolster his Saturday morning claims about wiretapping under Obama.
Conway on Monday cited “credible news sources.”
When he blasted out the explosive allegations on Twitter, Trump may have been referring to a recently published Breitbart article that addressed claims from a Mark Levin radio segment about alleged efforts by the Obama administration to undermine the Trump campaign. The timeline was drawn from